A Great SEO Effort Can Be A Better Mousetrap For Leads, Profits
Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door.
This adage is as true today as it was when Ralph Waldo Emerson said it in the late nineteenth century.
In today’s world for many small businesses the better mousetrap is focused around enticing customers to come to their website.
To do this companies need to rely on search engine optimization or SEO.
Dreaded by many senior managers, SEO has become the strength of some companies while leading to ruin for many others.
To be sure, thoughtful pundits argue social media efforts should be the cornerstone of any marketing effort. Still, SEO can be an effective tool for generating leads and eventually sales.
What has changed is the simple truth, more people are centering their activities on their smart phones than their computers. This trend is expected to continue to accelerate in coming months and years.
As a result, websites not optimized to be quickly uploaded to smart phones will be at a disadvantage.
One way to address this is to create what are called accelerated mobile pages (AMPS). Adding AMPS enables pages to be uploaded on mobile devices almost eight times faster than pages without these codes. The only problem, they can’t display web forms, hence can’t be used for lead generation.
For companies dependent on leads to grow their sales, this problem awaits a solution. But because Google’s search algorithms are still not totally tuned to this trend, having a website with great SEO results can be extremely valuable.
Another way to keep relevant in the search arena is understanding that likes, shares, and other social media signals will be a greater part of the search algorithm in the near future. Integrating social signals into the website should be a priority for small businesses this year.
To help you build a better SEO effort, here are some tools and strategies to consider.
- Ahrefs looks at the company’s backlinks which are an important element in successful SEO. Use it to review not only the company’s backlinks but competitors as well.
- BrightLocal finds relevant citations of the business and, if retained, can set them up for the company.
- Google Search Console is a free SEO tool allowing users to receive alerts if Google finds problems on the company’s website. It provides a deep dive into vital statistics needed to improve SEO.
- Moz Local is a tool to help audit citations. Simply put, citations are a listing of the company’s name, phone number and address in other website such as Yelp. The more citations the better the SEO.
- Moz Open Site Explorer using multiple backlink centered tools gives the company a fuller picture of what is being done as well as what needs to be changed or improved.
- Rank Ranger can be used to track organic keyword ranks in the major search engines. An added bonus, it can help “map” local rankings.
- Raven Tools enables management to look at data in a number of creative ways to better manage the SEO process. Without analysis, any SEO effort will soon lose steam.
- Screaming Frog conducts a technical SEO website audit through its free spider of all the company’s subdomains. It lists meta tags to error status codes.
Good SEO requires constant vigil and updating, having a plan and being prepared to adjust it is a key part of the process. The world is fast changing, a good SEO effort is increasingly important.